Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bartz, Butz, and Boco

So, last night after opting out of yet another episode of Mad Men, (we are down to the last two episodes of season four--- we're trying to stretch it out now) I was able to get in a few minutes of play on Final Fantasy V. This game has always been like a foggy memory from a drunken night to me. I feel this way mainly because I have played numerous different versions of FFV but never actually finished the game. Originally, this game was never release in the United States on the Super Nintendo, but it was later released on the Playstation as well as the Gameboy Advanced. When I first played this game, it was as a hacked ROM on an SNES emulator. This translation of the game from Japanese was by a completely independent and unofficial editor of the original Japanese release. Almost like fan fiction. Then the later official releases on GBA and PS1 were translated by Square Enix and things were slightly different in each translation. One glaring difference I remember was the name of the main hero Bartz (and/or Butz.)

I love sprites! 
I always think of this dood as Butz which is kinda funny to some people. I don't know. It just never really occurred to me that his name would be anything else, but the official translation of FFV calls this dood Bartz. Anyway, I just got to the wind shrine and I gotta quit. Back to FFXIII for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment